Last Post


For this week’s blog post, I would like to review some of the opinions and critiques I have about the course.

First of all, there were many new topics for me in terms of organizations. Among all, transaction cost, which was one of the first few topics introduced left a deep impression on me. It is not my first time learning the concept, but I was able to understand the true meaning and how it applies to nearly every task that I complete, which was nice. I also liked the discussion of incentives and punishment in work setting a lot, such as how incentives can drive an employee to work more efficiently and how punishment can discourage employees and hinder the particular employee’s growth. I was also impressed how much Professor Arvan put into the course. Professor Arvan offered me an office hour via phone over the weekend and I see how much work is needed to put together the excel assignments. I also believe having soft deadlines can be time consuming as it requires the grader to check blogs continuously for new submissions, but this policy, as its purpose, allowed me to express all I want to express with thorough consideration without the time constraint.

Regarding live session classes, I attended most classes, except for the days that I had to take GMAT exam or was sick. I did not speak much in class, because I was worried my answer was wrong or worried that others will not able to relate to my story as I have a different learning culture/experience than majority of the class. I do not know about other people, but I enjoy lecture style classes with small component of discussion as I like notes that I can refer back. Mostly-discussion class made me hard to absorb the material once I missed a concept. We discussed a lot about the past and future blog posts, but talked less about the excel homework, which was doable with few hours of investment, but I was very confused of what I was doing/calculating or the purpose of the assignments. As Professor Arvan mentioned, it is our task as the students to find the connections between each assignment, but I believe I lack this skill and need the instructor to guide me how one is related to another. I am better at it now I believe but need to get better at it for future courses to come.

Online blogging was a very new experience for me. Like we mentioned in class, not many higher-level economics classes that students take require some sort of writing. I liked sharing my story without my identity being disclosed. It was also enjoyable to write, knowing that Professor Arvan actually reads and provides in-depth comments.  If we could have discussed an example story of the prompt before it is due rather than after will allow students to grasp the direction of the blog. Sometimes, I see comments of my blogs and other students’ blog that we focus on one aspect when we are supposed to think more deeply upon another.

As a general opinion of this course, it was inconvenient that there was no way to track the work before Professor Arvan uploads the grade to Moodle. I was not sure if I submitted a concept quiz or Excel homework, after a few days of completing it, because there was no record that I could refer back to. If only we could receive a submission verification email that we could refer back to. The video lectures could have been helpful, but if also delivered in live sessions. Actual instructing on how the equations work and proves of those equation would have been very beneficial. Lastly, I believe there was less incentive of coming to class. I went to most classes, because that is what I do for all other classes. Some people did not show up majority of time, because what is graded, such as blog posts, concept quizzes, and excel homework, can be easily done without coming to lecture, while except that there was one excel homework that needed in class equation to be completed.

I joined the course late, because this class was not on my radar until I had to add a course for dropping another. In overall, I enjoyed the class and liked most of the discussion and stories shared by Professor and other peers.


Comments

  1. Like some other students in the class, you talked about taking time off to study for a standardized admission test, the GMAT. I wonder if at this point you have taken the test had if you found that your studying mattered for your performance on the exam. This practice, which is apparently normal now, seems weird to me.

    Regarding getting an email notification for submitting an Excel homework or for Concept Quiz, with the method I used doing that would violate FERPA (the privacy law in the U.S.) because it would entail including your email address in your submission, something that should not be done. However, I just tried submitting for the last Excel homework, so see the ultimate screen. This the message I got after submitting.

    Shapiro-Stiglitz Model fall 2019
    Your response has been recorded. You will get credit for your submission if it came before the due date. It may take some time for Prof. Arvan to enter that into the course grade book.

    Could you not copy this message and send yourself an email, if that would have have made you more confident that your submission was received? I'm at a loss as to why this is an issue.

    In terms of the discussion mode versus the lecture mode, I wonder if English not being your first language may have mattered for that. Beyond that, I'm getting a sense from your post that you'd rather produce a variation on a theme, after you understand the theme, than produce your own theme at the outset. That may be a survival skill for you in getting through school. I wonder if that skill is robust for after you are out of skill. Producing your own theme would mean sometimes it is no very good, so your measured performance might not be great. But if you kept at it, you might then produce something interesting and original. The caution you show in this post can be an asset - why take risks that are unnecessary to take? - but it also might be a liability - it prevents you from progressing to a higher level where you originate your own ideas.

    The prompt asked you to critique yourself as well as the class. In your response to my comment, you might talk about this issue of being very cautious versus learning to do new things on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not take off to study for the standardized test, but to actually take the test at the test center. I do not believe in missing a 80minute class to study for a standardized exam can have a dramatic change. I did not know that this method of emailing confirmation for submission is a violation of FERPA. I have never thought about emailing myself the note, but re-downloading the homework and seeing the material to realize that is something I have already done before has helped me throughout the semester.

      Regarding critique about myself, I realized I am not an excellent learner in keeping the prior material memorized. In this course, we frequently discussed some of the topics that are taught in prior intermediate economics courses, but I couldn't recall. I wonder this is because I purely tried memorizing the material and not understanding it. This course, however, did not have those materials to memorize, but required me to understand the topic through sharing my own experience. I like to look at how others perform in a course, before deciding which classes to take. However, I had never heard of any comments about this class, but chose to take it because it was the only available class that worked with my schedule. The topics discussed in this course, or just by the course title, were new and the equations/calculations introduced were very new to me. Hence, it was a risk for me to take this course, and I think I handled fairly good.

      I believe I could have enjoyed the class more if I were to be fluent in English, because I frequently stopped myself from sharing, knowing that I will not be able to completely share my story. I also came to know that I do not work very well with soft deadline. I found myself forgetting that there is an assignment or dragging too long to finish one assignment, knowing it is not actually due at the time. For the last few weeks, I pushed myself to complete assignments early so that I meet the deadlines.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Team Production

Reflection

Illinibucks